If you would like to speak to us during the week (Mon-Fri), please email info[at]problemgambling.ie or text 089 241 5401 to arrange a call-back.
Problem Gambling Ireland - Social Entrepreneurs Ireland Elevator Awardees 2016
About Problem Gambling Ireland
This website is a free resource, run on a voluntary basis. Its aim is to provide some independent supports and resources to anyone whose life has been negatively impacted by problem gambling.
Our Mission is to provide a dedicated, independent suite of supports, resources and referral pathways for problem gamblers and their families. We also aspire to advocating on behalf of those suffering the consequences of problem gambling and to highlight gambling related issues in the media.
Problem Gambling Facts
- Ireland has the third highest gambling losses per adult, in the world (based on 2016 figures).
- Ireland has an estimated 28,000 - 40,000 problem gamblers (2015 UCD/Dept of Social Protection research).
- Fewer than 1% of people who would benefit from problem gambling treatment receive it. (Gamble Aware, 2011).
- Adolescent gambling in Ireland is 2-3 times greater than that of adults (Irish Institute of Public Health, 2010).
- The health and social costs of problem gambling appear to exceed government revenue gained from gambling taxes and businesses (Irish Institute of Public Health, 2010).
- 1 in 5 problem gamblers attempt suicide - more than double to figure of other addictions (U.S. figures, National Council for Problem Gambling).
- The UK Royal College of Psychiatrists Faculty Report found that: “an estimated 8 to 10 other people in the gambler’s social network will be seriously affected". This means that there could be somewhere between 252,000 and 440,000 people affected by problem gambling in Ireland (based on 2010 estimates).
- Ireland currently has no dedicated gambling addiction treatment service (March 2017).
Blog Post: Workplace Gambling: To Bet or not To Bet?
Interview with CEO & Founder, Barry Grant, in relation to our lobbying campaign for the enactment of the Gambling Control Bill.
Report by The Times (UK) on our submission to the Justice Committee, lobbying for the enactment of the Gambling Control Bill.
Interview with Problem Gambling Ireland Founder, Barry Grant, on RTE Radio 1, 15th Jan 2016. Discussing gambling in the GAA. Listen here: problemgambling.ie/press
Blog Post: New Gambling Addiction Education & Treatment Programs available from Problem Gambling Ireland
Blog Post: Problem Gambling Ireland - Board Members
Blog Post: The 100 day Gambling Recovery Challenge.